Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Preparing For Student Teaching (Part 1)

Happy Tuesday!

I'm preparing to start student teaching next week. I'm super nervous about the whole thing, but I have met with my teacher and she seems like she is going to be super helpful and great to work with!! 

Here's what I have done to prepare so far...

1. Meet the teacher
-This is super important to do before you begin student teaching (really before you begin any clinical). I recommend sending a short email introducing yourself and scheduling a time to meet. 
**If you have a website, be sure to include that in your introductory email. The teacher can view your webpage for further information about you.


Sample email:

Hi,

I hope you are having a great afternoon! 

I am (your name), your student teacher from (your college). I am currently pursuing my Masters of Arts in Teaching. I graduated in 2008, with a Bachelor's Degree in Art, where I concentrated on history and art history. I have loved being in the classroom while at (school name) and I'm excited to start working with you and your students this semester.

At your earliest convenience, I would like to visit you to formally introduce myself, as well as, learn more about you and your class. Please let me know what day and time works best for you. I can come anytime next week. I will list my contact information below. 

I'm so thankful that you have offered to take me into your classroom. I'm excited to begin working with you and to learn new things that I can take with me in my future career.
Once again, thank you for this opportunity.

I look forward to your response.

(Signature)

(Attach contact info here!)



2. Meet the principal
-This meeting should be brief. Use a similar email to the one you sent to your participating teacher. You want the principal to be familiar with who you are.
**My principal complemented the professionalism of visiting prior to student teaching.

It's important to make a great first impression. Dress professionally!!! I also like to take a small token of appreciation. 

<<<< For my teacher, I gave a gift similar to this. I gave the principle a box of Dunkin' Donuts Munchkins, this way he could share with the office admins!










3. Write a brief introductory paragraph about yourself
-You want to familiarize your new student's parents about yourself. I asked my teacher if she wanted me to send out a letter to the parents and she requested that I write up a short paragraph that she can include in her class newsletter that gets sent home at the end of every week. Ask your teacher what she would prefer you do.

Continue to stay in communication with your participating teacher. She/he is there to help you! Ask questions!!!

-CT

No comments:

Post a Comment